Tuesday, March 18, 2008

We're not in Georgia anymore

Hey everybody, I am writing to you from soggy Franklin, North Carolina. It has rained all day, with thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow, but I made a shuttle three miles earlier than I had planned, and was able to get a room and a hot shower. Already North Carolina seems different from Georgia. The first climb out of Bly Gap at the state line was immediately harder than anything I have seen so far. There have been some peaks over 5000 feet, including the insane Albert Mountain, which I summited late yesterday. That was a 15 mile day, a new record for me. My blisters are healing well, though my left hand is somewhat useless when it comes to setting up camp or cooking. I tried to make Jiffy Pop last night over a campfire, but that was a disaster (I burned it horribly, but ate it anyway). I learned how to make stovetop stuffing for a meal, and I have a feeling that it will be one of my favorites in the months to come. I'm in the lobby of the motel now, waiting for a shuttle to come to take us to town for groceries and whatnot. After that I need to hit a laundromat up the street and check out the all you can eat bbq buffet for dinner. Then a relaxing night with a real bed and a TV. It's amazing how much you can enjoy a crappy room and greasy food after only two weeks of doing this, but there you have it. I'll check back soon. I'm about a week or so away from the Smokey Mtn's, so I'm sure I'll have a few stories to tell.

No comments: